Skip to main content

Interview with Lisa Nikolidakis

We recently sat down with our wonderful faculty member Lisa Nikolidakis to discuss books, writing, and life.

Where are you from and how do you use your surroundings to write?


I’m currently in Houston, TX—I’ve been here a little over a year—but in 2021, I had twelve addresses, I think. My life has been a bit upside-down for a bit due to chronic illness, so I’m not precious about process. I can write anywhere, on any device. The constant in all of that flux is nature. No matter where I land, the first thing I do is pull up a map and look for the swaths of green and blue. When I was in north Florida, that meant a lot of time spent at St. Mark’s National Wildlife Refu. In Indiana, Wesselman Woods. And in Houston, I’ve been stalking a flock of roseate spoonbills at Anahuac Wildlife Refuge.

Nature grounds and inspires me. It is my church.

Where do you draw inspiration from when writing and how is writing implemented in your life?

I’m blessed with a great problem for a writer: I am curious about everything. Okay, maybe not everything. I’m not interested in, say, tax codes. But I am riddled with obsessions and questions. As a result, I have more ideas than I have time. The danger lies in the excitement that comes with starting something that I’m newly fascinated with—say, a story about snail farming (that’s real)—and I can easily back burner something that has momentum. For years, I had a lot of starts and fewer finishes. Starting is the easy part, I think. Discipline is what gets you over the finish line. I’ve learned to leave myself notes on the thing I want to start, but I don’t abandon what I’m already working on.

What are your favorite ways to get out of writer’s block? Any tips?

Foster as much curiosity about what you want to write as you can. You think you know everything about your story? Ask more questions. This applies across genres.

Also, just write. Let yourself write without worrying about someone reading it or publishing it. Any draft is better than no draft.

How can a low-residency MFA program benefit writers?

Our lives are impossibly busy—thanks, capitalism! A low-res can be a great fit for a person who is balancing work, partnerships, family, and other responsibilities but also wants to strengthen their writing. The kind of one-on-one mentorship that students get in a low-res program is awesome.

Is there anything else you would like to share?


Yes! My memoir, No One Crosses the Wolf, came out on September 1, 2022. I worked on it for seventeen (SEVENTEEN) years. While it’s a dark read—lots of trauma—it’s got a hopeful ending, I promise. I write this not just in the hopes that someone buys it (although, please do lol), but also so people can see that sometimes, projects take a heck of a lot longer than we think they will.


Lisa Nikolidakis holds a PhD in Creative Writing from Florida State University and is an Associate Professor of Creative Writing and faculty advisor of P.R.I.D.E.. She teaches in the Ashland University MFA Program. She writes nonfiction and fiction, returning often to themes of trauma, mental health, chronic illness, music, and nature. She also writes humor, mostly for survival.

Nikolidakis’s memoir, No One Crosses the Wolf, about the traumas of a perilous childhood, a shattering murder-suicide, and a healing journey from escape to survival to recovery is out with Little A. 

Her essay “Family Tradition” was selected by Jonathan Franzen for inclusion in The Best American Essays 2016. Other writing of hers has won various prizes and mentions, including the Annie Dillard Prize for Creative Nonfiction 2021, Gulf Coast Prize, Indiana Review’s Fiction Prize, the Tobias Wolff Award for Fiction, the Calvino Prize, A Room of Her Own’s Orlando Prize, Cincinnati Review’s Robert and Adele Schiff Award for Prose, Hunger Mountain’s Frank Mosher Short Fiction Prize, The Briar Cliff Review’s Annual Nonfiction Contest, and The Chattahoochee Review’s Lamar York Prize.

Her aim is to help demystify the shame of trauma by continuing to write and speak publicly about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Kyle Winkler

After talking to Lisa Nik, it only seemed right to keep the good juju going and interview one of our newest fiction faculty members, Kyle Winkler. You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about Kyle from this interview and from his website . Thanks to our lovely and talented intern, Angela Manasieva for preparing this interview. 1. Where are you from and how do you use your surroundings to write? I'm from southwest Indiana originally. Rolling hills, farmland, corn, wheat. LOTS of corn and wheat. My landscapes have affected me heavily in my writing. All that tall crop and the sometimes isolating farmland in the autumn during sunset can do a lot to make one feel...creeped out? Hah. I've tried to use my small town upbringing to good effect, as well. I grew up most of life in a working class to middle-class home in the rust belt. So I'm often trying to evoke the experiences and attitudes of the sorts of folks I grew up around and with. And those experiences were, to so

Meet the Team

We're very pleased to introduce our spring 2018 Ashland MFA Faculty. We hope you're as excited about these names as we are. Included are a few links to help you get acquainted with these writers and their work: interviews, book reviews, short publications, excerpts. For a full listing of faculty including their bios and additional information, visit our website's Faculty Page . Poetry Dexter Booth Author of Scratching the Ghost , winner of the Cave Canem Poetry Prize. Booth’s poems have appeared in Best American Poetry, Blackbird, VQR, and elsewhere. Grist Journal  review of  Scratching the Ghost   “Love in the Time of Revolution” ( Blackbird ) “Queen Elizabeth” ( VQR ) “Insomnia Poem” ( Waxwing ) Gaylord Brewer Author of nine collections of poetry including Country of Ghost and Give Over, Graymalkin.  Brewer has published over nine hundred poems in journals and anthologies including Best American Poetry and The Bedford Introduction to L

Calls for Submissions - November 2014

Each month, the Ashland MFA Program receives calls for submissions and contest deadlines, which it publicizes in its monthly newsletter. Listed below are this month's calls for submissions.  Contests  Columbia Annual Writing Competition Columbia: A Journal of Literature & Art is now accepting original work in poetry, fiction, and nonfiction for the Issue 53 Writing Competition. Entry fee is $15 and deadline is December 1. http://columbiajournal.org/contests-2 New American Press Poetry Book Prize New American Press is currently accepting submissions for its annual poetry book prize. Winner receives $1000, 25 author's copies, and discounted rates on additional copies. Final judge: Maggie Smith, author of The Lamp of the Body and The Well Speaks of Its Own Poison . http://newamericanpress.com/contests/current.php Chapbook Contest for Women Over 50 QuillsEdge Press – Indispensable Poetry by Women Over 50 announce their first chapbook competition, judged by Barba